Even if you have lost just one tooth – whether it is a new situation or something you have lived with for years – chances are you have never become fully accustomed to losing such a vital part of yourself.
What Are Dental Implants?
Do Implants Last Forever?
Our Littleton / Aurora dental implant team’s ultimate goal is for the implants that we place to stay with you for the rest of your lives but there are risk factors that need to be evaluated and corrected to meet this goal. Each patient needs to take ownership in their dental hygiene maintenance and risk aversions to keep their implants long-term.
Comparing Options: Dental Implants vs. Fixed Bridges vs. Partial Dentures
If you have one or two missing teeth, then you have the options of replacing the missing teeth with implants, bridges, or a partial denture. You also have the option of not replacing the tooth/teeth at all, but this may result in shifting teeth, a faulty bite, or loss of other teeth in the future.
Dental implants provide a fixed (meaning the teeth do not get removed) solution, and give the ability to chew just like they were normal teeth. They also do not get tooth decay and do not traumatize the adjacent teeth. One drawback to implants is that they require several months to get the final tooth in place because the bone needs to heal around the implant before it can be used.
Fixed bridges are faster (only hours to weeks) and less expensive in the short term. Unfortunately, bridge can be more expensive long-term because they only last 10-15 years. If you get a cavity in one of the anchoring teeth, then the whole bridge needs to be replaced. If you have implants, then only the tooth with the decay will need to be treated. The anchoring teeth are also shaved down to make the bridge. There are instances when a bridge is the best option, but implants are a superior option most of the time
Partial dentures hold on to adjacent teeth with metal clasps but can replaced several missing teeth. Thus, if someone has many missing teeth and stable anchoring teeth, then a partial denture can be a good option. The main drawbacks to partial dentures is that it can traumatize and loosen the anchoring teeth over time and it needs to be removed and cleaned after meals and while sleeping.
Once you learn about dental implants, you will finally realize that there is a way to improve your quality of life.
Did you know:
- Implant-supported replacement teeth look, feel and function like natural teeth.
- Dental implants provide comfort, convenience, and confidence. These modern miracles of tooth replacement can also be matched exactly to your own teeth, restoring your smile to its optimal state. Dental implants can be your doorway to renewed self-confidence and peace of mind.
- Our doctors team with your dentist to provide the restoration for your implants. They plan and work very closely together to create a very pleasing outcome for your tooth replacement needs.
- Our team of Dr. Versman, Dr. Heller, Dr. Beckman, and Dr. Thousand are uniquely qualified to provide a full range of implant dentistry procedures. They have been performing a full range of implant dentistry for more than 27 years in the Denver/Aurora, Colorado area.
- Drs. Versman and Heller were one of the first U.S. dentists to study directly with the inventors of today’s implants. They have also educated dentists, periodontists and dental students about dental implants and implant procedures for many years, and have lectured on the subject in the Denver/Aurora, Colorado area, nationally and internationally!